Skip to main content

Paradise Unpaved!

Imagine how hard it is to break up the asphalt with a small pickaxe. It is not even a good one as it has seen so many asphalts and tortured itself to make the way better. Now imagine you’ve been doing it for several days. The sun gets hotter day by day. There is a heaviness on the body, aches you to rest for a while, makes you sweat like a boiling pot, itchy like a bug landing on you.




 The dust makes you feel more and more uncomfortable. Sometimes tiny sprinkles of water that wheeling down the black dust on your face. Irretrievable. The job is so unpleasant to imagine. This has been Madhav’s existence for almost a year. Madhav, his pickaxe and the pavement. I have seen him worried that his arms won’t know how to do anything else by the time he gets to stop. Will they remember to buy him colouring notebooks just to see his golden smile. But he never forgets to wear his bright smile in front of his child. Sometimes, he gets to use a shovel to heave the concrete into the circulating wheelbarrow.

 

They say change is as good as a break. Engineers only plan about how to lay it down, not about who is going to pick it back up. Eventually, that part became his job. He cannot stop at any time. It is like a prison sentence. More like a damage deposit for his existence. For everything that he will take, he must first give something. Once, he said that “I see my fellow friends scattered across this hot mirage, multi-coloured uniform designating each person’s plot. Some were doing their jobs and some are sitting in the shade of the trees by the roadside. Meanwhile, I turn to my pickaxe. It sends me a fascination that the sweat on my back as if it was a cool grass in the summer”. In the meantime, I started living his life. As he narrated his work life, the pain and power have strongly hit to my brain.

 

He continued his narration, “I don’t join them. I don’t rest. I am on a time limit. I have only two nights and there are no clouds. Enough light to work in the blessedly cool weather. The darkness teaches me more about life. I realized that I have seen much invisible darkness that tortured me for a long time. But the power of perseverance keep me alive and set my shoulders to the wheel. I haven’t slept in two days. But I can’t take advantage of this pleasant darkness. Every time I put down my axe, I feel the pressure. The fear that I won’t finish in time. I imagine being in the finish line and getting the word it’s too late in my ear will be unfair. Because I unpaved for two. It may not be fair for that little boy who waits for me to buy him notebooks so that he can colour his dreams. The money that I get may be very little, but it is the gold I treasure”.

 

We may imagine the people in the before and how they would make it happen. We probably didn’t even think about it. God only knows where the path finds its endpoint and what exactly it holds.

 

As he adds his experience as just a mere word, it sounded so intense to me. “As I thought I have unstacked the chunks into the wheelbarrow. The young girl who is pushing the cart smiles at me and said Thank God, as she moves away. I thought, she must be new. People say this to each other here to be encouraging. But it just sounds like words to me now. I often imagine it as a Paradise. The island where people can heat themselves. One day, I collapsed from dehydration. I reiterate myself I can’t be sent back when I’m this close to finishing my plot. I can taste just the dust of asphalt now. I stare at the pavement around me, unbelieving and I pick up my axe”.

 

We never imagine the struggles as the other person’s point of view. Our life is so precious in this Earth. We look after the Earth as it filled with greenery, where the grass beds filled with roses and lilies, we are very much hydrated but often complain about our lives. We haven’t even think about the other side of any work people who spare their lives. This story just made my life upside down. As Madhav describes the scenes of his work life, every time he had pain, I felt the heaviness in my chest. Every time he felt happy, I just elated. I can feel the oppression still exist in tiny parts scattered everywhere. I can feel the patriarchy has taken a new version where people couldn’t mind but live with its flow.

 

The change is the only that never change. This may be sound so familiar but the hardest truth is we never understand the intense meaning of it. Every time we commit mistakes in life, it adds a point to our experience. Madhav finishes it with “More practical minds will only let their unpaved crusade go so far”. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Ten - Meddle up!

Govrav drives her home, which is a qui ck trip considering his house is within walking distance. Govrav: All right, here we are. Hardhikk: Govrav,   how'd you know where   Ahana lives? Govrav:   I've driven her home from school and uh... speaking of school. you know where I live now, so I guess you can come over to work on our project. Ahana: Okay!   How about I come over tomorrow? Right after school? Govrav: Sure.I can give you a lift then. You can get out of my car now. Ahana: There's the Govrav I remember. Govrav: What? But I didn't go anywhere. Ahana: Whatever you say. Govrav: That's the last time I do you a favor. Ahana: Yeah I've heard that before. Say goodbye Hardhikk. Hardhikk: Bye, Govrav! Thanks for the ride home. Govrav: Bye, kid. Come visit agin, okay? Hardhikk: Okay! Ahana: If only he was this pleasant all the time, I wouldn't object to calling him a friend. the next day brings the pouring rain that the previous night's cloud had promised. t

Am I a Hindu?

  I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to document my own transition away from faith. What follows is what happened for me. Basically, my family is flexible when it comes to the religious part. My father and I used to be way too friendly. My grandfather was very devoted to Lord Shiva. Luckily for me, my father always stand back to hold. He doesn’t feel any sort of prompt or proxy is needed to be deeply religious. He always prays to one God, Lord Krishna (Guruvayoorappan).                   Children are more vulnerable and emulate those they respect. I still do. My father was a Brahmin, so I became one as well. Realising what I mean by that; I happy being a Brahmin but I didn’t decide to become a Brahmin; it just happened. As a child, if someone you love and respect tells you something is true or illustrates that they believe it be true – it become absolute. There will be no choice in these matters for a human until much later in life. The society is constructed in this pace, this