Skip to main content

Chapter Ten - Meddle up!



Govrav drives her home, which is a quick trip considering his house is within walking distance.

Govrav: All right, here we are.

Hardhikk: Govrav,  how'd you know where  Ahana lives?

Govrav:  I've driven her home from school and uh... speaking of school. you know where I live now, so I guess you can come over to work on our project.

Ahana: Okay! How about I come over tomorrow? Right after school?

Govrav: Sure.I can give you a lift then. You can get out of my car now.

Ahana: There's the Govrav I remember.

Govrav: What? But I didn't go anywhere.

Ahana: Whatever you say.

Govrav: That's the last time I do you a favor.

Ahana: Yeah I've heard that before. Say goodbye Hardhikk.

Hardhikk: Bye, Govrav! Thanks for the ride home.

Govrav: Bye, kid. Come visit agin, okay?

Hardhikk: Okay!

Ahana: If only he was this pleasant all the time, I wouldn't object to calling him a friend.

the next day brings the pouring rain that the previous night's cloud had promised. thankfully, her mom and Hardhikk were reached home without getting wet. But the dreary weather only adds to her sense of melancholy at Hardhikk's departure.



Arriving at Govrav's house provides a distraction that is almost welcome.

Ahana: I can't believe how clean this place is. it almost doesn't seem lived in.

Govrav: Well, we live here.Try not to make a mess.

Ahana: Do you think I came here to just make your home a mess.

Govrav: I'm glad to see you're at least partially civilized.

Ahana: Do you have some sort of condition that requires you to be rude all the time? And is there a cure? Asking for science.

Govrav: Ha ha. You're so witty.

Ahana: Thanks for noticing.

Govrav: All right, anyway, we need to figure out a story. Any thoughts?

Ahana: You're the one who's supposed to be good at English.

Govrav: yeah, but I don't deal with kids or children's stories very often. i figured something that juvenile would be more your speed.

Ahana: Govrav, seriously. I just want to get this done.

Govrav: Okay, okay. Do you have any ideas?

Ahana: Well, now that you mention it, I have an idea about a little boy who's trying to find his cat.

Govrav: His cat?

Ahana: Yeah, so he goes on an adventure through the neighbourhood looking for his cat. and then it turns out the cat never left the house.

Govrav: That's.... oddlyspcific for an idea. Is this something that happened to Hardhikk?

Ahana: Yes... he lost his cat when he was in kindergarten and looked all over the neighbourhood for it. It was under his bed the whole time.

Govrav: You really miss him, huh?

Ahana: Well, yeah. He's a great kid. He's so much fun to be around. I know sisters are supposed to be annoyed by their little brothers... But we've always been making each other's day better. I don't know if you know what it's like to be cheered up by a toddler, but it's pretty adorable.

Govrav: I'd imagine.

Ahana: (Sad) I miss him more than anything or anyone else back home.

Govrav: I didn't think about that. you know, Ahana, being out here all by yourself... that's pretty...

At that moment, almost like clockwork, her phone rings. it's her mother.

Ahana: Damn! what was he going to say? Hold on, let me this really quick.

On call;

Ahana: Hello?

Hardhikk: Hi, Ahana.

Ahana: Hardhikk! We were just talking about you.

Hardhikk: Really? me?

Ahana: Yes, because you're so special.

Hardhikk: Just like you.

Ahana: Aw, you are sweet.

Hardhikk: Mommy said I should call and say thank you for taking me treating.

Ahana: Of course. I was happy to.

Hardhikk: Can you say thanks to Govrav for the chocolates?

Ahana: Sure, I'll tell him.

Govrav knows that she's talking about the other day.

Hardhikk: Are you and Govrav boyfriend and girlfriend?

Ahana: What? Where did you get that idea?

Hardhikk: Oh, I dunno.

Ahana: Well, we're not Hardhikk, so get the idea out of your head!

Even without knowing what's being said,Govrav appears amused by your struggling.

Hardhikk: Mommy thinks you're boyfriend and girlfriend.

Ahana: No sweety, we're just friends.

Hardhikk: Are you sure, sure?

Ahana: Yes. I'm absolutely sure.

Govrav: But are you extra, extra, extra sure?

Ahana: Dude, if  you knew what I was talking about, you wouldn't be saying that. (Or would he?)

She look over at Govrav again, who's settled on the couch, watching her expectantly.

Ahana: Charlie, I have to go, okay? I've got to do some homework. How about I call you later, okay?

Hardhikk: Okay. Bye Ahana, I miss you.

Ahana: I miss you too. I'll talk to you soon.

She hung up.

Ahana: Sorry about that.

Govrav: Was that Hardhikk?

Ahana: Yeah, he wanted to tell you thank you for the chocolates.

Govrav: No problem. so who's "just friends"?

Ahana: Oh! um... We are! just friends.

Govrav: Are you sure?

His Brown eyes glint mischievously, and he slides his way over to where you're sitting on the couch.

He wasn't talking about you and me, was he?

Ahana: W-what? No, no, of course not. That would be crazy.

Govrav leans in close to her.

Govrav: is it?

She pushes him away!

Ahana: You are way too much in my space right now. we weren't even talking about you. Not everything is about you, you know.

Govrav: Are you sure about that?You were looking my way.

Ahana: And that's never gonna happen, okay? Us dating.

Govrav: Ha, someone's bothered.

Ahana: Ugh! You are so annoying. Go back to your seat already!

She says it with anger, but her blush betrays her. Govrav cackles to himself as he moves back to his seat.

Ahana: Can we please just focus on this stupid project before I decide you're too big of a jerk to work with?

Govrav: Fine. Any other ideas?

Ahana: No, I've done my share.

Govrav: Well, I guess the story idea is as good an idea as any. Let's get started. we can do an outline today and then figure out who's writing what later.

Ahana: Okay! then.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradise Unpaved!

Imagine how hard it is to break up the asphalt with a small pickaxe. It is not even a good one as it has seen so many asphalts and tortured itself to make the way better. Now imagine you’ve been doing it for several days. The sun gets hotter day by day. There is a heaviness on the body, aches you to rest for a while, makes you sweat like a boiling pot, itchy like a bug landing on you.   The dust makes you feel more and more uncomfortable. Sometimes tiny sprinkles of water that wheeling down the black dust on your face. Irretrievable. The job is so unpleasant to imagine. This has been Madhav’s existence for almost a year. Madhav, his pickaxe and the pavement. I have seen him worried that his arms won’t know how to do anything else by the time he gets to stop. Will they remember to buy him colouring notebooks just to see his golden smile. But he never forgets to wear his bright smile in front of his child. Sometimes, he gets to use a shovel to heave the concrete into the circulating wh

Am I a Hindu?

  I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to document my own transition away from faith. What follows is what happened for me. Basically, my family is flexible when it comes to the religious part. My father and I used to be way too friendly. My grandfather was very devoted to Lord Shiva. Luckily for me, my father always stand back to hold. He doesn’t feel any sort of prompt or proxy is needed to be deeply religious. He always prays to one God, Lord Krishna (Guruvayoorappan).                   Children are more vulnerable and emulate those they respect. I still do. My father was a Brahmin, so I became one as well. Realising what I mean by that; I happy being a Brahmin but I didn’t decide to become a Brahmin; it just happened. As a child, if someone you love and respect tells you something is true or illustrates that they believe it be true – it become absolute. There will be no choice in these matters for a human until much later in life. The society is constructed in this pace, this