Skip to main content

Chapter Eight - Connection

Ahana: Man… this will be the first time Mom and I have spoken face to face since I came here. We don’t even talk much on phone... And I haven’t hear from Dad since I got here. I guess he’s still mad. (Sigh)

But at least I’ll get to see Hardhikk. I’ve missed him so much. This will give me something to look forward to, so I can feel like I’m home again. Being around my family will make it feel like I wasn’t really sent here to be punished. At least that’s what I hope.

There’s a knock on the door.

Ahana: Come in.

Aunt Renu: Hey, honey. I just wanted to check on you. Are you okay about with Mom coming down? You didn’t seem that enthusiastic.

Ahana: Well… Oh, I am. More or less.

Aunt Renu: More or less?

Ahana: Well, we haven’t really spoken since I’ve been here. I miss them. But it’s like they sent me here to forget about me.

Aunt Renu:  Oh, sweety. Don’t say that. They want you come home as soon as possible.

Ahana: There’s no point in signing me up for a new school just to sign me out and bring me back halfway.

Aunt Renu looks at her as if she’s struggling for an answer, but at that moment, her phone goes off.

Aunt Renu: Oh, it’s my nursing unit. Sorry, I have to take this. But if you want to talk later, we can, okay?

Ahana: Okay, no problem. Thanks, aunty.

She leaves her alone with her thoughts. The feeling of excitement at seeing her brother again is now mingled with anxiety.

 

To alleviate her nerves, she goes for a walk for few blocks away. When she return, she can see her mom’s car is in the driveway.

Hardhikk: Ahana!

She suddenly pounced on by an exuberant seven year old, his face is beaming up at her as he hugs her tightly around the waist.

Ahana:  Hey, Hardhikk! I missed you so much!

Hardhikk: I missed you too.

His smile is infectious and heartwarming.

Ahana: Hardhikk… Where’s Mom?

Hardhikk: She’s inside, come on!

He takes her hand and tugs her into the other room, where she finds her mom and aunt having coffee. Her mom stands up to greet her.

Mrs. Ramesh: Hi, Sweetheart!

To her great surprise, she pulls her into a hug. She hugs back, her familiar smell bringing powerful waves of homesickness and tears to her eyes.

Ahana: Hi Mom.

Mrs. Ramesh:  How are you? How’s school?

Ahana:  It’s okay.

Mrs. Ramesh:  Just okay? Sit and talk to me, what’s going on.

Ahana:  But Mom, it’s not a big deal.

Mrs. Ramesh: Oh, sweety. Your life is a big deal to me. I want to be a part of it.

Aunt Renu:  I’ll let you two have some time.

Ahana: Aunty, you don’t have to do that.

Aunt Renu: Your mom’s been waiting a long time to have a talk with you! I’m not going to take away from that. Hardhikk, you want some chocolate?

Hardhikk: Do I?

With that, Aunt Renu makes her exit with Hardhikk, leaving Ahana and her Mom alone.

Mrs. Ramesh: Tell me about school, dear.

Ahana:  Mom, you know you can call and ask me about it any time.

Mrs. Ramesh: Sweetheart, I can tell that something is really bothering you. Why don’t you tell me?

Ahana: How can I possibly tell her now? But… who knows when I’ll next get the chance to tell her how I really feel about everything? One thing – I need to show her how much I’ve improved my behavior since I’ve gotten here. What’s bothering me? (Furious) Oh, nothing, really. Just that you and Dad ditched me.

Mrs. Ramesh: What? We did not ditch you, Ahana! Do you even remember why we sent you here? (Sad) You were sent here because after years of pleading, you wouldn’t listen to your father or me. You are here because we want you to get your life together.

Ahana: Yeah. Right… I need reminding.

Mrs. Ramesh:  You clearly have no idea how hard a decision this was for us, Ahana. But I can see it was the right one.

Despite her attitude, she pulls her in for another hug. She holds her tight, like she never wants to let go.

Mrs. Ramesh:  I know it’s difficult. But as soon as you get your act together, you can come home.

At that, she feels all her anger melt away.

Ahana: I know mom, I’ll do my best. I guess dad couldn’t make it out here?

Mrs. Ramesh:  No. he had to work. But he said to tell you he misses you.

Ahana: Sure he does. He hasn’t sent me a text since they shipped me here. He’s definitely still angry. Well, tell him I miss him too.

Her mom and Hardhikk stay for several hours, chatting. She takes Hardhikk out for few times to entertain him, but when the afternoon starts running late.

Mrs. Ramesh: Hardhikk, we need to get going soon.

Hardhikk: Aw, but mom, I don’t wanna leave! Can’t I stay with Ahana?

Mrs. Ramesh: No, honey, you have school tomorrow. If we don’t leave now, we might not have time to take you for treating.

Ahana: I can take him for treating.

Hardhikk:  Oh! Mommy! Can I? Can I?

Ahana: Did you bring your outfit? Hardhikk.

Aunt Renu: Come on sis, it’ll be late by the time you guys get home.

Mrs. Ramesh: All right, I guess that makes more sense. Let’s go get your costume. I want him back by 6:30 PM Ahana. We do have to get back early.

Ahana:  Okay, Mom, I’ll have him back soon.

Sometime later, she have hit up every house in the neighborhood, and Hardhikk has lost none of his enthusiasm.

Ahana: Hardhikk. Are you having fun?

Hardhikk:  Yeah! Do you like it here? Are you coming home soon?

Ahana: Oh, Hardhikk. I’m getting used to it.

Hardhikk: Does that mean you’re not going to visit?

Ahana: I don’t know how often I can, but I promise I’ll try. And you can visit me anytime.

Okay Hardhikk, I think this will have to be the last house. It’s getting late.

Hardhikk:  Okay.

 He bounds up to the door and rings the bell. To her great surprise, a familiar face answers.

Govrav: Huh?

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Ten - Meddle up!

Govrav drives her home, which is a qui ck trip considering his house is within walking distance. Govrav: All right, here we are. Hardhikk: Govrav,   how'd you know where   Ahana lives? Govrav:   I've driven her home from school and uh... speaking of school. you know where I live now, so I guess you can come over to work on our project. Ahana: Okay!   How about I come over tomorrow? Right after school? Govrav: Sure.I can give you a lift then. You can get out of my car now. Ahana: There's the Govrav I remember. Govrav: What? But I didn't go anywhere. Ahana: Whatever you say. Govrav: That's the last time I do you a favor. Ahana: Yeah I've heard that before. Say goodbye Hardhikk. Hardhikk: Bye, Govrav! Thanks for the ride home. Govrav: Bye, kid. Come visit agin, okay? Hardhikk: Okay! Ahana: If only he was this pleasant all the time, I wouldn't object to calling him a friend. the next day brings the pouring rain that the previous night's cloud had promised. t

Paradise Unpaved!

Imagine how hard it is to break up the asphalt with a small pickaxe. It is not even a good one as it has seen so many asphalts and tortured itself to make the way better. Now imagine you’ve been doing it for several days. The sun gets hotter day by day. There is a heaviness on the body, aches you to rest for a while, makes you sweat like a boiling pot, itchy like a bug landing on you.   The dust makes you feel more and more uncomfortable. Sometimes tiny sprinkles of water that wheeling down the black dust on your face. Irretrievable. The job is so unpleasant to imagine. This has been Madhav’s existence for almost a year. Madhav, his pickaxe and the pavement. I have seen him worried that his arms won’t know how to do anything else by the time he gets to stop. Will they remember to buy him colouring notebooks just to see his golden smile. But he never forgets to wear his bright smile in front of his child. Sometimes, he gets to use a shovel to heave the concrete into the circulating wh

Am I a Hindu?

  I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to document my own transition away from faith. What follows is what happened for me. Basically, my family is flexible when it comes to the religious part. My father and I used to be way too friendly. My grandfather was very devoted to Lord Shiva. Luckily for me, my father always stand back to hold. He doesn’t feel any sort of prompt or proxy is needed to be deeply religious. He always prays to one God, Lord Krishna (Guruvayoorappan).                   Children are more vulnerable and emulate those they respect. I still do. My father was a Brahmin, so I became one as well. Realising what I mean by that; I happy being a Brahmin but I didn’t decide to become a Brahmin; it just happened. As a child, if someone you love and respect tells you something is true or illustrates that they believe it be true – it become absolute. There will be no choice in these matters for a human until much later in life. The society is constructed in this pace, this