Skip to main content

Chapter Seven - Invigorate

She stick her tongue out at him, taking a mental picture of blush that raises to his cheeks.

Mr. Hari: All right, then, Rajesh?

Rajesh: I'll take Hema.

Ahana: Predictable! But Govrav chose me as his partner. What's he trying to pull? Oh is he trying to make up for the evening that day? I'll ask him at lunch. If he tries to be rude. Hema and Rajesh will have my back.


When lunch rolls around, She find Hema, Rajesh and Govrav sit together with little difficulty. Hema smiles at her as she sits down.

Hema: Hey, Ahana I'm glad you are here! I feel like this table finally has some balance.

Ahana: Glad I could help.

Rajesh: Have you guys read the project outline of Mr.Hari's class?

Hema: Yeah! I'm looking forward to it actually. You're actually very lucky to have Govrav as a partner, he's great in all of his English classes.

Ahana: Huh? Govrav I suck at English. Good luck

Govrav: What? Is that why you said yes? So you can make me do all the work?

Ahana: Oh. That's a little maniacal. For me too.

Govrav: Maniacal? Are you sure you suck at English? That's, like, an SAT word or something.

Ahana: You're such a dork. Govrav. All right, It's not my best subject.

Govrav: I hope, you're not saying 'yes' to get a payback for that evening.

Ahana: Better be nicer to me. Otherwise, It might be.

Govrav: I'm suddenly regretting my choice.

Ahana: Why did you really pick me? You could've had anyone in the class.

Govrav: Wow. I suddenly having that deja vu feeling. And it's telling that you still talk too much.

Ahana: Dude. It's a simple question.

Govrav: It's a simple answer. I needed a partner, not a pain in my ass.

Ahana: Anyway, fine. We need meet up after school some time to fighure out what we want to do.

Govrav: I don't want to be in any house that has Prarta in it.

Ahana: Okay then we will meet at your house.

Govrav: I'm not telling you where I live.

Ahana: Fine, You figure out, then.

Govrav: I did figured ou, I said, 'Not my house' I'm a great planner, aren't I?

Ahana: I meant to figure out where we're meeting, you dumb ass. Huh!! I don't have any patience for this.

He doesn't respond.

Hema: It's fun to watch them quarrel. Isn't it?

Rajesh: Yeah! Fun.

Ahana: I'm well- versed enough in Govrav's language to know that he's going to ignore me for the rest of the day. Again.


The rest of the lunch goes by in awkward silence that Hema and Rajesh try in vain to alleviate. After school, she's just ready to go home. But today is the day that Prarta actually having a sports practice. She sigh and brace herself for walking alone to home.

Govrav: What are you doing?

It's Govrav, she suddenly bristles.

Ahana: Walking.

Govrav: What about Prarta?

Ahana: She has sports practice.

Govrav: Let me give you a ride then.

Ahana: No. Fine.

Govrav: What? Give me one good reason why not?

Ahana: I don't want you to give me a ride.

Govrav: Don't be stupid. It'll take forever to get back. And it's going to rain.

Ahana: I'd rather walk home than stuck with you any longer than I have to be.

Govrav: Ouch!

Ahana: Oh. Now he's hurt. Meh

Govrav: Whatever, it's your decision. I'm just trying to be nice. Since you've been so upset with me or whatever. But the offer still stands. You shouldn't walk alone in rain. You'll get sick.

Ahana: I don't know how to react. He's rude all day, and now he's being nice? She looks him square at the eye and zip up the hoodie. Let it rain.

Before he can protest. She walks away. Her dark eyes can scan the darkening sky and she finally start to feel the droplets.

Ahana: Curse my foolish pride.

She arrived at home almost an hour later, soaking wet, but alive. Aunt Renu is there to greet her.

Aunt Renu: Oh. Honey, did you walk home alone?

Ahana: But Prarta had an excuse. It started raining near the tail end of the walkway.

Aunt Renu: Couldn't you get a ride home?

Ahana: I forgot to ask and missed my chance. It's no big deal.

Aunt Renu: Well, I have a good news to brighten your mood.

Ahana: What's that?

Aunt Renu: Your mom and Hardhikk are coming up to visit you this weekend.

Ahana: Oh. Umm. Exciting.

Aunt Renu: What's with the reaction?

Ahana: Yes. Of course I'm very excited to see Hardhikk. But... Is.. Is dad coming too?

Aunt Renu: No. I don't think so. He's quite caught up with his work.

Ahana: Well. I'm glad that atleast I got to see Hardhikk. Are they only coming for a day?

Aunt Renu: Yeah. Coming Sunday. Your mom has to go back to work. Now go change your clothes before you catch a cold.

Ahana: Okay.

She haul herself up the stairs, exhausted from the day. Back to the room and change into some dry clothes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Ten - Meddle up!

Govrav drives her home, which is a qui ck trip considering his house is within walking distance. Govrav: All right, here we are. Hardhikk: Govrav,   how'd you know where   Ahana lives? Govrav:   I've driven her home from school and uh... speaking of school. you know where I live now, so I guess you can come over to work on our project. Ahana: Okay!   How about I come over tomorrow? Right after school? Govrav: Sure.I can give you a lift then. You can get out of my car now. Ahana: There's the Govrav I remember. Govrav: What? But I didn't go anywhere. Ahana: Whatever you say. Govrav: That's the last time I do you a favor. Ahana: Yeah I've heard that before. Say goodbye Hardhikk. Hardhikk: Bye, Govrav! Thanks for the ride home. Govrav: Bye, kid. Come visit agin, okay? Hardhikk: Okay! Ahana: If only he was this pleasant all the time, I wouldn't object to calling him a friend. the next day brings the pouring rain that the previous night's cloud had promised. t

Paradise Unpaved!

Imagine how hard it is to break up the asphalt with a small pickaxe. It is not even a good one as it has seen so many asphalts and tortured itself to make the way better. Now imagine you’ve been doing it for several days. The sun gets hotter day by day. There is a heaviness on the body, aches you to rest for a while, makes you sweat like a boiling pot, itchy like a bug landing on you.   The dust makes you feel more and more uncomfortable. Sometimes tiny sprinkles of water that wheeling down the black dust on your face. Irretrievable. The job is so unpleasant to imagine. This has been Madhav’s existence for almost a year. Madhav, his pickaxe and the pavement. I have seen him worried that his arms won’t know how to do anything else by the time he gets to stop. Will they remember to buy him colouring notebooks just to see his golden smile. But he never forgets to wear his bright smile in front of his child. Sometimes, he gets to use a shovel to heave the concrete into the circulating wh

Am I a Hindu?

  I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to document my own transition away from faith. What follows is what happened for me. Basically, my family is flexible when it comes to the religious part. My father and I used to be way too friendly. My grandfather was very devoted to Lord Shiva. Luckily for me, my father always stand back to hold. He doesn’t feel any sort of prompt or proxy is needed to be deeply religious. He always prays to one God, Lord Krishna (Guruvayoorappan).                   Children are more vulnerable and emulate those they respect. I still do. My father was a Brahmin, so I became one as well. Realising what I mean by that; I happy being a Brahmin but I didn’t decide to become a Brahmin; it just happened. As a child, if someone you love and respect tells you something is true or illustrates that they believe it be true – it become absolute. There will be no choice in these matters for a human until much later in life. The society is constructed in this pace, this