Skip to main content

Chapter Five - Turns

Govrav: Don’t be mad! Can we atleast try to enjoy the night instead of harping on this forever.

Ahana: Fine.

Govrav: Good.

Ahana: I’m not giving up yet.


At the Café:

The entrance seems to be pleased and the hallway is lit up with a crowd. She quickly spot Rajesh and Hema, who are waiting just inside for them.

Rajesh: Hey Govrav, Hey Ahana.

Hema: Ahana, You look great! Govrav, You really lucked out, didn’t you?

Govrav: I guess.

Ahana: What do you mean, you guess? I’m a total snack and you know it.

Govrav smiles at her joke, but she see the nervousness cloud his vision. He shifts his eyes warily around the café.

Rajesh: She is not yet here bro. She said she’d be here late, if she can make it.

Ahana: Who?

Hema: You know, it’spretty rude that the first thing you ask about, after arriving with your date (winks), is another girl.

Govrav: Uh.. right sorry.

Hema: Classic Govrav

Ahana: (Why does he look so nervous right now. And who are they talking about? This is getting really uncomfortable for me.) So this place is pretty busy huh?

Hema: Shall we please order something. I’m starving my gut out.

After few sips of coffee and crunches of milk cookies.

Ahana: Hey Govrav.

Govrav: What?

Ahana: Are they dating?

Govrav: Who Rajesh and Hema, no, they’ve been friends forever.

Ahana: Oh, they both look like a good looking couple.

Govrav: How’s been life at this small town?

Ahana: Huh?

Govrav: I heard that you have been thrown here by your parents and settled in at your aunt's house. How have you been tolerating Prarta in the first place?

Ahana: Seriously. How'd you know this much about me?

Govrav: I have my ears dear. And for your kind information I've been friends with whom you're friends with.

Ahana: On the Prarta part. It is pretty difficult though.

Is he being sensitive over my things. Maybe this is a good opportunity to get on a better terms with him.

There's a painfully uncomfortable between them. Then, To her surprise, Govrav snorts with laughter.

Govrav: Oh my god, You're such a dork.

Ahana: H-hey..

She put her hands in her hip in a mock frustration, while Govrav shrugs.

Ahana: This is so weird. He's so rude, and there is something charming about him.

She can't help it. She let out a hearty laugh, which wins a look of shock from Govrav.

Govrav: What is it?

Ahana: Oh! I just thought that I might like you.

Govrav: That you what?

Ahana: Might like you.. False alarm, though.

Govrav shakes his head at her. She can't help but laugh even harder.

Rajesh: Govrav, I thought you are moody. Surprise bro.

Govrav: I have great people skills. I don't waste time on people I don't like.

Rajesh: And so does that mean you like Ahana?

Ahana: Oh god. This could be so embarrassing. But I want to hear what he has to says to that.

Govrav: Why would I like her? I just don't dislike her. She talks too much though.

Ahana: What? What did you just say? Well. That hurts.

Rajesh: Take that as a compliment Ahana! That's the most praise you'll ever get out of him.

Ahana: Is that so? Because it sounds to me like he can walk all over me! (Frowns with anger)

Hema: Look what you did, Govrav? ( Frown)

Govrav: Ahana! don't worry, he's just dumb. It's not what it sounds like.

Ahana: I'm not worried. His compliments don't mean much anyway.

Hema: Damn. Govrav, You should try to be nicer next time.

Govrav: I said I don't dislike her. God!

Ahana: Well. Maybe I dislike you!

As she say that, she noticed a flicker of hurt flashes across Govrav's face.

Govrav: Fine by me.

Ahana: Realises! Oh... Govrav. look, I didn't mean it that way.


???: Hey, Govrav.

They're interrupted by a smart girl she don't recognise. She's even prettier than Prarta and her feel proportionally plain by comparison.

Govrav: Oh.. Hey.. Revathi!

An anxious look between Ahana and Revathi creates a tension.

Govrav: I thought you weren't coming today.

Revathi: Yeah. Sorry, I just started a new job and my shift hours have been weird.

Her eyes been shift back and forth between Govrav and Revathi. When she make eye contact with Govrav, he looks away anxiously.

Ahana: Revathi, who is she to him?

Revathi: I missed you.

Govrav: Oh huh.. Thanks?

Revathi: I missed this even more.

Before she can say anything, Revathi images herself between Ahana and Govrav, leans toward him and pulls him to herself.

Ahana: Whoa! What?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Ten - Meddle up!

Govrav drives her home, which is a qui ck trip considering his house is within walking distance. Govrav: All right, here we are. Hardhikk: Govrav,   how'd you know where   Ahana lives? Govrav:   I've driven her home from school and uh... speaking of school. you know where I live now, so I guess you can come over to work on our project. Ahana: Okay!   How about I come over tomorrow? Right after school? Govrav: Sure.I can give you a lift then. You can get out of my car now. Ahana: There's the Govrav I remember. Govrav: What? But I didn't go anywhere. Ahana: Whatever you say. Govrav: That's the last time I do you a favor. Ahana: Yeah I've heard that before. Say goodbye Hardhikk. Hardhikk: Bye, Govrav! Thanks for the ride home. Govrav: Bye, kid. Come visit agin, okay? Hardhikk: Okay! Ahana: If only he was this pleasant all the time, I wouldn't object to calling him a friend. the next day brings the pouring rain that the previous night's cloud had promised. t

Paradise Unpaved!

Imagine how hard it is to break up the asphalt with a small pickaxe. It is not even a good one as it has seen so many asphalts and tortured itself to make the way better. Now imagine you’ve been doing it for several days. The sun gets hotter day by day. There is a heaviness on the body, aches you to rest for a while, makes you sweat like a boiling pot, itchy like a bug landing on you.   The dust makes you feel more and more uncomfortable. Sometimes tiny sprinkles of water that wheeling down the black dust on your face. Irretrievable. The job is so unpleasant to imagine. This has been Madhav’s existence for almost a year. Madhav, his pickaxe and the pavement. I have seen him worried that his arms won’t know how to do anything else by the time he gets to stop. Will they remember to buy him colouring notebooks just to see his golden smile. But he never forgets to wear his bright smile in front of his child. Sometimes, he gets to use a shovel to heave the concrete into the circulating wh

Am I a Hindu?

  I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to document my own transition away from faith. What follows is what happened for me. Basically, my family is flexible when it comes to the religious part. My father and I used to be way too friendly. My grandfather was very devoted to Lord Shiva. Luckily for me, my father always stand back to hold. He doesn’t feel any sort of prompt or proxy is needed to be deeply religious. He always prays to one God, Lord Krishna (Guruvayoorappan).                   Children are more vulnerable and emulate those they respect. I still do. My father was a Brahmin, so I became one as well. Realising what I mean by that; I happy being a Brahmin but I didn’t decide to become a Brahmin; it just happened. As a child, if someone you love and respect tells you something is true or illustrates that they believe it be true – it become absolute. There will be no choice in these matters for a human until much later in life. The society is constructed in this pace, this